Sunday, November 7, 2010
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Future Wedding Unicorn.
Last night we [me, The Ministress of Snark and Irish] checked out a ‘special’ screening of The Social Network at Ster Kinekor in Sandton City, thanks to Seth over at 2oceansvibe. After having already taken America by storm, the film only releases next Friday in South Africa. But is well worth seeing, even if you think there are too many spoiler alerts out there. Not to ruin it for you, but there’s this guy, right? And he invents Facebook…
Jesse Eisenberg is a class actor who pulls the role of Facebook-founder Mark Zuckerberg very well. Zuckerberg is portrayed as a socially inept whizz kid who borders on sociopathic when it comes to ambition and anyone or anything that might just stand in his way.
The movie has no single, mammoth climax. But despite this it remains interesting throughout and you’ll learn a lot you never knew about Facebook and how it got to where it is today. It is funny at times without trying too hard, and dramatic in small details and mumbled lines. The Social Network shows the dark side of many things: of money, of power, of ambition and of the revolution of digital social media. Ideas get stolen, people get screwed over, friends become enemies and pub nights are replaced by supermodels and multi-million dollar lawsuits. It’s thrilling, and I did not walk out hating Zuckerberg. Rather, I walked out inspired by the drive some people have, and also, in a sense, slightly frightened by it. Money and power are dangerous little monsters, it appears. And as we all move into a sphere where we live in-, on- and through this thing we call the internet, do remember: you may be living the digital revolution, but sometimes the hangover you get from it is a very real one.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
- Okay, about to present my #TwitterThesis. Wish me luck!
- Remember to play the #TwitterThesis game in the next few minutes as I present it to 'The Board'.
- Also, guys, please no weird sex references and such when using #TwitterThesis, please. This is serious. [@BarryTuck I'm looking at you.]
- Ready to give some thoughts on #TwitterThesis? Aaaaand go! All updates will show up on the screen for 'The Board' to see.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 free range eggs
- Half a cup milk
- 125g basil pesto
- 165g parmesan, grated
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
When it comes to hair, I am a serial colourist/cutter/changer, whatever I can possibly do [well, have done] to my hair. While during high school my hair was always an average length with an average number of highlights [for a private school girl, anyway], I have been through many phases in the last 3-4 years:
Friday, October 1, 2010
Hello, Snowcat Diana. Welcome to Lizeland.
If you want one too, head on over to Kameraz in Rosebank Mews. I got this one at a ridiculous bargain! Then again, I did have The Mermaid with me, and everyone knows Mermaids bring good luck. Also, this is me we're talking about. Come on. Kidding! I'm just a Lucky Unicorn.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Happy birthday me. Love, me. A Tiffany's locket.
Monday, September 27, 2010
- The MC, Mum-Z. He has been named Minister of MCing in Lizeland. He gets his own masseuse. In fact, he may have 7. Very funny guy, this.
- The One & Only. Can't even decide if it's prettier in the bright sunlight, at sunset or at night all lit up. But we heart it, a lot.
- Helen Zille's speech. Very insightful regarding social media [did you know she actually tweets herself? Yup.] Definitely featuring some of her wisdom in my #TwitterThesis.
- Realising Helen Z and The Mermaid were pretty much wearing the same blazer. Phenom.
- The Nazi receiving an email mid-ceremony enquiring whether he would be interested in buying eco-friendly hand grenades.
- Meeting many, many fellow members of the Twitter Fam. Having the Ogilvy Twitterer run up with 'Lize? Lize The Unicorn? I HAD TO come meet you.' and hearing 'I don't follow you, but I do stalk you...'
- indieBerries winning TWO Awards, after a fairly traumatic experience flying in from South Korea for this.
- The Mermaid almost falling over the railings, almost taking off her shirt, making me touch her boobs then swearing at me because I wasn't doing it nicely enough [???] and then telling everyone that the only advice they need in life is 'NAME YOUR SON MARMADUKE, THEN PEE ON HIM, IN A CAMEL'. Thanks, Bear Grylls.
- Mermaid to me: 'to me... you are... like.. a Google image... That is not pixelated... I can almost see you. And from here, you are amazing.'
Friday, September 24, 2010
Saturday, 18 September, 20h24:
Oh my goodness. I am having serious Stef withdrawal. I am quietly hyperventilating inside. Also, I have cancer of the upper body and may have died by the time you return.If that happens... then I don't know. Something profound and last-wordsy etc.
Sunday, 19 September, 09h19:
Day 2. Withdrawal continues, but I have not yet died. Also, seeing Tracy tomorrow possibly, which might help. I can get all teary about how we used to talk and show her screen shots of our BBM conversation as I sob over the fact that you left me for this ridiculous river whatsit mission. Also, I came to a most profound... conclusion today. In three years I have gone from having 4 sugars in my coffee to just 1. I am an adult.
Uhff. EVERYONE is being a douchetard. And you are not here for me to complain to.
Monday, 20 September, 13h04:
Have made it to Monday without dying.
Also, have listened to The Suit Song 37 times since Saturday.
Tuesday, 21 September, 04h28:
Had dinner with Tracy last night. She now has a crazy person texting her. Long story. Then had a dream about you. But it was basically you driving, telling me about some girl. And me, bored. Very realistic, I think, except that your car was lime green. Up at 4 today, on air again. *blink blink*
Too little coffee. Too much Stef Withdrawal (note: upper case). Also, am I the ONLY person who writes on your wall?!
Just phoned Kurt Darren for his address.Stef, come back.
In the amount of time I have just spent fretting over the fact that I have no milk (just realised. Up at 4. To go now (but am already in bed and had a fucking long day) and get less sleep (4am is no joke) or have either no coffee tomorrow, or black coffee? What to do?!) I could probably have driven to the Free State, milked a cow and still had naps before 4am wake-up call. Tomorrow I'm driving around Pretoria in a Jeep with Kurt Darren giving out R200 000 to charity people things. On the plus side, you are back tomorrow and I can cease my perpetual panic due to Steflessness. Also, I conclude that I am, in fact, the only person who writes on your wall.
PS you are my favourite and I love you and I cannot wait for you to come back.
PPS if something has happened to you (death included) and you are, in fact, not coming back tomorrow because of this 'something', I will drive to Namibia (after fixing my rim which I have really royally fucked up) and drag your Nazi arse to my house and subject you to 24/7 uncensored stories of the dramas of my life. Dramas like, for example, this milk thing. Still haven't made my mind up re milk.
Listening to Suit Song. Play count: 52.
Wednesday, 22 September, 16h40:
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
This does NO justice to the view. The infinity pool is also beyond amazing. We love infinity pools.
Gorgeous sisters of mucho mucho talent.
Birthday girl and her man, who flew in from England for this!
Fairly self-explanatory, I think.
Even if you have to pretend it's your birthday, do order one of these bad boys.
That is not lens flare. It's sprinklings of amaze.