Thursday, December 24, 2009

Collected Memories: Blood Bank

It's been an interesting year. Many ups, major downs. And as we head in to 2010 [which bodes to be a good year], I can't help but look back one last time at 2009 before I move forward.
I got up at 4.30 every weekday morning this year, to be at studio at 5 and start the Breakfast Show on MFM at 6am. My co-star, SeanO, was amazing to work with and the show was always exciting. Between interviewing anyone our hearts desired [except Barack- he never did get back to me], and getting free stuff, plus all the laughs we had in studio, 4.30 was worth it. Even when I hadn't slept, or had been drinking. I have no idea when I'll be back on air, but I'm hoping it will be soon.
My house burnt down. No, it was not my fault. Yes, I lost a lot of stuff. Thereafter I lived with two psychos, and resultantly I have moves four times this year. I never want to move again! And I think I'll live alone next year.
I was diagnosed with epilepsy. This means no drinking, smoking, driving, drugs, too much time in the sun, very hot baths, caffeine... And the list goes on. Hey, at least it isn't a brain tumour, as they suspected.
I walked down the street in my underwear. This was an on-air dare, thanks must go to my wonderful co-star. I hope this will die with 2009, although it does seem to keep coming up at very random moments, with very random people. This made newspapers across the entire country. I kid you not.
I got a tattoo. I love it. Jimi Hendrix.
I got a boyfriend. He is amazing, and the reason I made it through a lot of the downs. My brother got married. My sister had a baby. My stepmother had another baby.
I made new friends. I got closer to old friends, gave up on others. Some will stick around, some won't, others will come back around. Whatever happened, they were/are/will always be here for a reason. I lost a friend to cancer. A few weeks later I shaved off my hair.
And then I went platinum. Just for a change.
I was a guest presenter on MK Live and Studio1 once a month. I met a bajillion new people. I saw more local bands live than I can count. I went to Oppikoppi, RAMfest and Rocking the Daisies, all of which rocked and were 'the best weekend ever!'
I went to Zimbabwe with the UN. It was an amazing experience which only inspired me more to save the world.
I turned 21. And my birthday party was epic- The Revelators, 3rd World Spectator and Ashtray Electric. Much champagne. Awesome friends, awesome presents.
I went to the zoo. I dressed up like a unicorn for Hallowe'en. Next year, I am living in Pretoria. It is a big change that is both daunting and exciting at the same time: living close to my family [for the first time since 2001]; new people to meet; a new music scene to explore. I'll be doing my honours in Media and Culture Studies at Tuks, and pursuing this career thing of mine.
I know I'll miss the Cape. But Stellenbosch is a bubble, and I was dying to get away. Cape Town is pretty much my favourite place on earth, but unfortunately jobs are scarce and you can hate it all you want- Johannesburg is where it's at. And being close to my family is probably necessary, even if it only to prove that I can't do it. But at the first opportunity I will be back, Cape Town. Make no mistake about that.
Happy Christmas, and may the ups of 2010 exceed the downs. Cheers to the future.
You said "'aint this just like the present,
To be showing up like this?"
As a moon waned to crescent
We started to kiss.
And I said I know it well.
What's that noise up the stairs babe?
Is that Christmas morning creaks?
And I said I know it well.
-Bon Iver: Bloodbank

No comments: