Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Some Non-Local Music News

I am a fan of Death Cab for Cutie, and not only since their 2005 album 'Plans' that made the whole world sit up and listen to a band that has actually been around for many years, producing stunning music all along. Then of course there is Postal Service, a band whose debut album was wonderful from start to finish. So I am a big fan of Ben Gibbard. I admit I shed a tiny tear upon hearing of his engagement to Zooey Deschanel. But the girl is lovely, so I [somewhat begrudgingly] wish them much happiness.
But here's some exciting news for all fellow fans of Mr Gibbard:
Ben [yup, first-name basis we are on] is teaming up with Jay Farrar [about whom I know very little, I confess] to produce an album the soundtrack for the documentary about Jack Kerouac, called One Fast Move or I'm Gone: Kerouac's Big Sur. By the sounds of things a lot of the lyrics are taken from Kerouac's works, and this album has been 'in the making' for about three years.
I have a feeling 2010 is going to be a GREAT year.

No comments: