Monday, May 25, 2009

This is that Electro Shit...

In the middle of exam time, Stellenbosch can be a pretty bleak place. Campus becomes a ghost town, fewer gigs happen and nobody moves outside of the shortest distance from their place to the library and back. So when Haezer hit Stellenbosch, nothing was going to stop me from curing the cabin fever, especially at what promised to be a good gig. And so we headed out with our dancing shoes to Die Mystic Boer...
Distracted by a GHD and a pre-party bottle of Tassies, I arrived late and bulldozed my way inside, fearing I had missed something. Relieved to discover I had missed nothing, I later grew annoyed at having to wait for ages before Haezer actually began his set. I mean, I was planning on getting through another chapter of Political Science before bed! Alright, that’s a lie. But more seriously, it is a little annoying when gigs start this late. Then again, this one was certainly worth the wait. A producer in South Africa’s lacking electro scene, Haezer will likely do a lot to kick-start it. The music was exponentially cooler than on any other night in Mystic, and we had a great time doing nothing more than dancing the night away. And while electro music can fast become repetitive, Haezer blended in enough elements of punk and a more industrial sound to create a fantastic electroclash we could have danced to all night. Keep an eye out for a tour next month alongside Sassquatch, Kidofdoom and Yesterday’s Pupil, as well as a full album set for release this year. Haezer at Mystic, 22 May 2009

No comments: