Monday, May 25, 2009

Collected Memories: I Will Follow You Into The Dark

In the midst of much going-wrongness, I happily find myself positive about survival ability [in the end, everything will be alright] and silver linings. I have mentioned a handful of people who are pulling me through some glitches, with a smile on my face. These pictures are actually from a month ago, but I never got around to using them for anything, and having had dismal weather and a weekend where my most productive activity was getting through season 1 of The Mighty Boosh, I figured I’d put these to use.
My brother recently got married to Ilana [leaving me the only one in the family (besides my one-year-old sister) not married/engaged/pregnant] and of course weddings get everyone all soft about eternal love, soulmates, happiness and all the rest. Finding myself still dealing with court cases around my parents’ divorce [which began in 2003], and hearing divorce statistics [plus having people I know be living proof of these statistics] on a regular basis, I can be quite sceptical about the man-made institution we call ‘marriage’. But every now and then I see an example of what it’s supposed to be, and I renew my faith, and believe that maybe someday even I will have my happy ending.
Norma-Anne and Bert have been married for about a hundred years. They may well be my favourite couple, like, ever [except maybe Sinead and Marc form Fire Through The Window]. I have known them from my Standerton days, having visited them very often, and living there whenever my parents went abroad [which was fairly often]. Now, consider two people who have shared as many years together as they, and still they can be as happy together as in these photos. Apparently, is is possible! Norma-Anne herself is one of the grandest women I have ever met, and the lady’s got soul! With a voice to boot and a spirited nature that is always [and I mean always] up for a good boogie, she is the one person who can wear velvet and make it work! Plus, anyone who can get my mum on the dancefloor jamming like this must be mentioned.
So here’s hoping, and wishing, and remaining forever inspired and –optimistic.
Love of mine,
Someday you will die
But I’ll be close behind,
I’ll follow you into the dark.
No blinding lights
Or tunnels to gates of light,
Just our hands clasped so tight.
If there’s no one beside you when your soul embarks
Then I’ll follow you into the dark.
-Death Cab For Cutie, I will follow you into the dark

No comments: