Sunday, May 17, 2009

Collected Memories: Down is the new up

And just when you thought it couldn't get worse, someone springs another little something on you. A nice bloody cherry on top. But the beauty is finding a silver lining in everything that seems to be crumbling; squinting up into the sun while your fingers clutch desperately at cracks in the walls, you realise with relief the cracks aren't in the foundations. Phew!
Spent the weekend in Bellville again, for the sake of the last few days before Irish heads back North. [Which reminds me- I'm up in the capital at the end of the month for MK. The following weekend I fly up once again for my niece's naming ceremony, and I stay there for two more weekends to do am internship (more about that later) AND I return the weekend following all of that, for MK once again. Rad- jet life at twenty and managing to shuffle my exams around it all. Plus it means more time with my sister and niece, and Irish, of course. I love my life!].
Friday night was spent making pizzas with Nash, ranting about life and people, with red wine [of course]. Drinking continued at the Bellville house and a photoshoot was inevitable. Liam set it all up and so it began... Picture Snake, Rudi, Liam, Phil, Nash and Lize, with props ranging from a comboy hat and a toy snake all the way through to an AK47. It was interesting, to say the very least. On Saturday we all headed to Assembly for the final leg of the Ashtray Electric album tour [more about that later] and it was rad! Buy the Ashtray Electric album. Trust me. They also featured as Friday's 'treffer' om 5FM and got all thumbs up! And on Sunday I slept in. Yes, I woke up AFTER sunrise, rather than in the middle of the night [which is what 4.30am feels like in winter]. After leaving Nash's house, a last stop at the Bellville house. Funky dancing, cigarettes and braaibroodjies with chilli blatjang- it is always a good vibe! I have to thank Rudi once again for letting me be there so often and never having a problem with it. Thank you, Rudi.
Back in Stellenbosch, taking a deep breath to face one monster of a week. But thank you to those who matter. Through all of the bullshit, it's the simple things that keep me smiling. Great friends, a great boyfriend, and knowing that all will be ok. We'll get through this, if only because we always do.
Below is the one picture I got from the shoot. There are many more, but this had to be it. I love this girl so much, and she is much of the reason I still have the strength to fight through the hard times, and the energy to dance like a loon all night on the tables at Aandklas.
Get yourself together
Let the light pour in
Pour yourself a hot bath, pour yourself a drink
Nothing's gonna happen without a warning
Down is the new up
What is up, buttercup
Down is the new up, is the new up
-Radiohead, Down is the new up

2 comments:

Billy said...

who takes your pics.theyre way cool.

Lize K said...

The black and white ones [ususally referenced or tagged] are by Liam Lynch, as mentioned in posts. Others are mostly taken by me unless specified otherwise =)