Monday, May 11, 2009

Collected Memories: Breathe

Spent the weekend and the Bellville house in light of 32 [now 33] being back in the Mother City. Stuff is crazy right now. I was once quoted [while in the middle of one of my tragic-spinster-destined-to-die-alone-with-lilac-cats phases] as saying, "Think of me as a Bridget Jones. But a skinny one... One you would actually sleep with." Her wise words jumped back at me this weekend:
It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.
I don't want to be emo, but there a lot of shit happening at the moment. But what I love about this is how great some people are being! The assholes are making life hell in part, but those who matter are keeping my head above water. I realised this weekend how much better I felt just being surrounded by friends and being in a relaxed, welcoming environment. The Van Zyls' and the Bellville house provided the perfect sanctuary. So here's a big thank you to the music and my friends for keeping my head above water: Liam, Nasha, Melissa, Edna, Nadya, Eric, Stef, SeanO, tannie Tisha en oom Melvil and everyone else who saw me and was cool, not a wanker. You all make life what it is supposed to be. And now, allow me to indulge in some oh-so-girlie country vibes:
There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around.
But you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button now
Sing it if you understand.
and breathe, just breathe
-Anna Nalick, Breathe

No comments: