Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Zinkplaat & Die melktert Kommissie

Aandklas, 07 April 2009
There was nobody left in Stellenbosch. The students had scattered in their respective directions and the remaining locals had trekked North for the Klein Karoo Nasionale Kunstefees. I had little with which to occupy myself. Plus, the last time I saw Lucinda, we sat down with a bottle [or seven] of red wine and had such a lovely time that I simply had to take the too-rare opportunity of seeing her again. So when she excitedly texted me announcing her arrival, I simply had to hit Aandklas, even if I were the only person in Stellenbosch to do so.
Surprisingly, the turnout was not bad! I have seen peak-time gigs with smaller crowds. I must point out, however, that the group was made up largely of school kids. I gather so because I cannot recall the last time I was in a room with so many people who could not hold their alcohol, and were shorter than I...
Die Melktert Kommissie is as cute as can be. I mean, they’re still singing songs they wrote to their highschool loves almost ten years ago! It’s sugar-sweet Afrikaans folksy pop ‘n roll, and it’s about everything you went through as a hormonal teenager: boys, girls, first kisses, last kisses, break-ups, make-ups, fuck-ups... Lead vocalist and guitarist Lucinda Strydom has a beautifully clear voice that holds its own on stage as well as on disc, and the Bakgat fans sang out with her from start to end. She is down-to-earth and accessible on stage to fit their simple style that is exactly what it is.
I, along with many others, love a good chill-out session, sprawled on the lawn, a drink nearby, with some Zinkplaat playing in the distance. Their instrumental introduction was great, a sound more rock ‘n roll than they usually are. But is it just me, or did their set never really reach a climax? Nonetheless, the guys jammed out their usual stuff and got the crowd pumped with gees. Gedigte vir Gesigte, my personal favourite, was interrupted halfway through. Arguably, it deserves a moment of silence. The re-entry began with Basson’s bluesy guitar vibes, a staccato start reminiscent of the video’s moments of slow motion that culminated to a steady flow and eventual eruption from both the stage and the crowd. Last up was Hondeklipbaai, and I suppose this track was the climax in its own right. Everyone danced like they did in the video, except with real sweat and not for 7 hours straight, though I am sure they would have, if called upon. For someone who has become so anglicised, and in fact for any soutie or plaasjaap who appreciates good local music, few things beat a night indulging in some good plaasrock.
I say it again: Gees!

No comments: