Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Collected Memories: Quatre

A couple of days overdue, I know.
Another 5.30 wake-up, this time to go to Spier stables to see my horse, Danzig's Mast.
I started riding when I was 8. I remember my first lesson clearly: it was bucketing. But I refused not to ride. So on I got, wrapped in a tent-size raincoat. After half an hour everyone was soaked and frozen stiff.A few weeks later I got my first horse: a 27 year old Anglo-Arab by the name Kollie. He had hardly any teeth and he was not exactly the fittest of athletes, but he was the perfect partner for me to start what would be an integral part of my life for many years. I have been kicked in the head, trampled, jumped on, you name it. But I have never quit...
I am in the process of selling my horse, and quitting horseriding. Financially it is not viable as I do not have enough time and, at the end of the day, I will be journalist someday, not a professional showjumper. But I know I will start again someday. For now, my primary passion is music, along with my writing, photography and all the rest of the 'industry'.
For now, I m loving the economic recession: it seems few people have a handful of tens of thousands to spend on a pet/sport/very expensive lawnmower, and the longer it takes to sell him the longer I have for moments like these:

All photos by Melissa Hill

No comments: